Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Day 16: Steel, Man-made Island and Whale

We were running early today due to good traffic, Tokyo looked like a dream with fantastic weather. It was certainly a great day to go exploring. We were on our way to visit Nippon Steel, which is over the other side of Tokyo Bay. So instead of going around, we went under. In the middle of the bay is Umihotaru, an artificial island which serves as a rest area with food and an incredible view. We stopped there for a Starbucks because we were running so early today. The top floor is an open area where the Bay can be easily viewed. I didn't stay out there long however as the sea wind was extremely cold. In the middle of the day today it only reached 14 degrees, so winter has well and truly arrived.

The view

Turtles!




The way we came from



The itinerary today, in many ways, started out like a day at the office. It was really great to see a different type of foundry - steel sheet hot rolling and blast furnace, to what I am used to working in, although I did notice a few key differences. Primarily, that neither us nor the regular workers were wearing ear plugs, which was unusual given how loud the place was, particularly when the rolled steel was deformed and would bang across the rollers at high speeds. There was also no real barriers to prevent steam burns and we, as observers on raised platforms did not wear safety goggles, although we did wear helmets. All it all, I loved visiting, because it was just like going to work in the heat treatment plant, with hot steel and ovens and the sound of quenching.

Blast Furnace No. 4 - Biggest one

Gas Storage tank - used to collect waste gas for energy production

Materials used in the Blast Furnace Process, mostly from Australia (iron ore and coal)
 Our next stop was back to Umihotaru for lunch before going to the Tokyo National Museum. This place was huge, with approximately four buildings, with multiple floors in each. With only two hours of time, Josh and I explored the themed rooms on Western Art (in Japan in the 19th century), Metal Work, Ceramics and the Japanese garden outside. It was beautiful and a real shame we were not able to stay longer to admire the breadth of artwork that was there. I found the Western style artwork a little sad because to me, it represented the Western demolition of a unique and beautiful culture as the Japanese artists tried to emulate Western methods and ideas behind art.

Buddha - not much you could photograph inside the gallery

The unique features of Japanese swords

Japanese garden photos - Josh insisted I stand in them

Model Pavilion

Not sure what this is exactly. It was in the garden of a Tea Ceremony hut

Purifying water for a tea ceremony

Overlooking the lake to the Japanese style Museum building
We went shopping for a few hours, first at Ameyoko (American Street) and then at Ginza. At Ameyoko, I bought myself some gloves, because my hands were cold. I imagine they are fake leather (although they smell like leather to me) because they were so cheap and they did not have a label, but I don't mind. At Ginza, I went to the Swarovski, and if I did not fall in love I don't know what I did. For months I have been admiring the Limited Edition Fantasia Mickey Mouse statue that Swarovski released this year, but I saw today the ultra expensive, limited to 150 pieces, crystal set version. He was at least twice as tall and took my breath away. The entire store was amazing, with multiple other statues made in the same way, and crystals set into the floor and the stairs. There was a crystal cherry blossom branch hanging from the ceiling of the first floor and the second floor had a crystal art piece on display. It was completely incredible.

He's so pretty

Sorry for bad photo - trying to be sneaky. Stairs!
Our final stop for the evening was dinner with the MPE's in Ginza. Choosing from the menu was great and we had a wide variety of food, even though the place was known for its fish (which made it hard for Clare.) I had grilled chicken breast, some amazing tempura sweet potato with a sweet honey sauce and some stewed pork. Of course, one particular thing on the menu caught my eye: Whale. I've never seen it on the menu in Japan so far. The MPE's hadn't really eaten it, bar Yuri, who said she used to have it as part of school lunches for cultural experience when she was in elementary school Intrigued as she insisted it tastes like chicken, we ordered a plate to share between the sixteen of us. When it arrive it looked like blue cooked steak. Upon tasting I could best describe it as a hybrid of tuna and beef. I wouldn't say I was a huge fan, but I have certainly tasted worse.

On the menu

Whale on the left and right, whale bacon in the centre (apparently a delicacy - not a good one though)

Clare didn't eat any but she sat there whilst I tried it. Josh and Steve also gave it a go.
It was a late night but fortunately we have a late morning. Tomorrow we are attending University. There's just seven more days till I am home. How the time has flown by.

No comments:

Post a Comment