Friday, December 19, 2014

Day 22: Feedback and Flight

Sorry for the delay on this post - since getting back some I have been on work experience and have finally had the time/energy to sit down and write this post.

Our final day started with most of us cramming out suitcases before 11:40am. I had mostly packed the night before but chucked on some casual clothes to run down to the post office and finally post my postcards. I'd written some in Hiroshima and most of them the night before. Fortunately, I had purchased stamps beforehand, which made it a very quick trip. Unlike Italy, it's very easy to send postcards in Japan. And the register worker was very helpful and happy. I liked that.

At 11:40, for the last time, we left the hotel and caught taxis to Mitsui's head office. We started out with a brief meeting with the Japanese organiser of the tour to provide our feedback on our experiences. Everyone was in agreement that this tour was exceptionally well organised and we all had a lot of fun. We discussed a few hints to be put in the guidebook next year (such as "Don't Forget your Passport") and then headed downstairs to a restaurant for lunch. It was an interesting place, which four restaurants joined together - one for pasta, Japanese, Chinese and Western. The food was really good, and quite cheap as well.

After lunch we headed up to the Executive floor and had a meeting with the head of Corporate Social Responsibility about our experiences. It was a really fancy room, with automated shutters and a fantastic view of the Imperial Palace and gardens. It felt a little James Bond villainesque corporate office - that typical evil corporation board setting. The discussion was lively and it was great to have an opportunity to talk with corporate management and have them seem to be interested in who we were, our dreams, passions and what we learnt most from the trip.

Sadly, this was our last item on our itinerary. We got changed out of our business attire and looking far too casual to be slinking through the office corridors, we took our bags and ourselves out to our bus and watch Tokyo disappear as we headed to the airport. At the airport we did some last minute shopping, grabbing items to spend our Yen coins (which can't be exchanged at home). Whilst there I also checked out the cameras - the price isn't actually cheaper than Australia when tax is taken into account. Finally, we climbed on board the plane and left Japan.

The flight was good. I slept for most of it. My best tip for flying was the zip off pants I wore - which gave me warm long pants in Japanese winter and then shorts for the warm plane and summer Australia. Actually, I was surprised when I arrived that it wasn't that hot in Australia. I thought it was supposed to be summer here!

That's all from Japan. It was an incredible experience - certainly a country rich in culture. It's beautiful and exotic, managing to seamlessly blend West with East, Ancient with Modern. I am so grateful for the experience. My Mitsui Journey isn't over yet - I still have a report to write and a presentation to deliver. Not to mention that Alumni events will ensure I remain a part of the MEF Family for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment